BEEF PRE-HARVEST FOOD SAFETY INITIATIVE
- VeriPrime Beef Food Safety Cooperative is proposing to the beef industry implementation of a voluntary E. coli pre-harvest prevention plan.
- The plan, described on this site, requires 3 years to implement and uses USDA approved E. coli vaccine, as well as, additional feedyard interventions.
- The VeriPrime Food Safety Initiative is funded by collecting an additional penny per serving. As we anticipate this penny per serving to be passed on to consumer, we are asking for the approval of retailers before implementing the prevention system.
- Your participation will require you to pass on a penny per serving to fund the E. coli pre harvest prevention system.
- You will collect a penny per serving from the retailer as a pass through line item on the prevention system’s behalf.
- You will be reimbursed to provide at least one dose of E. coli vaccine and feed a direct fed microbial (DFM) supplied by VeriPrime.
You will be reimbursed for all required services and products.
Cow/Calf Backgrounder Information
- Cow/calf, stocker, and backgrounder services initially would be exempt.
- The Prevention Protocol planned for these operations would be annual vaccination of cows and vaccination of calves with a licensed E. coli O157:H7 vaccine and applying a metal ear tag with vaccination.
- You will be reimbursed for all required services and product.
- Implementation of services would begin the last 1/3 of the first year.
- Dairy cattle would initially be exempt.
- The Prevention Protocol planned for dairy operations would be annual vaccination of cows and vaccination of calves with a licensed E. coli O157:H7 vaccine. A metal ear tag would accompany the first two vaccinations.
- You will be reimbursed for all required services and products.
Implementation services would begin the second ½ of the first year.